Hydraulic Icarus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Shout Box

An Evening Between Rovers

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BarrowLord

Characters : Toryc, Erik and Sarah

An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Toryc had the waiter give Ana a menu as well, "My prime question regards Mr. Alistair Fairchild, specifically what his role on your vessal is. You claim he dosent listen to you, but you are the Captian. Why permit an insubordinate on your ship, Captian Juliana Highland?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

Nicknames : Gordon Ramsey
Characters : Juliana Highland, Lucas Fairchild

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 pm

"Because 'e's on my crew," Ana replied, simply, as if that was enough in it's own right. She cringed slightly at the price of the deserts.
Back to top Go down
https://icarus.forumotion.com
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:11 pm

"But if he's part of your crew, why does he not obey you, what function does he serve?" Asks Toryc, settling on a parfai.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Ana moved to order a chocolate cake, trying to stall while she worked on an answer. Why did she bother to keep him on? They didn't get along very well, and she was certain most people could do his work. His brother was nice enough, but keeping him along just to get a cook was a bit much. "'E 'elps out with the work an' what not," She replied vaguely.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:27 pm

"And this help permits his disobiediance? This help allows you to knowingly sleep with an adder on your breast? This help allows you to have this man bring several angry people to your vessal, and strengthens you to defend him? I admit, I dont understand your human pack dynamics, but Mr. Alistair Fairchild seems more a threat to you than a help. What exactly does he help with?" Toryc asked, all with a confused tilt to his head.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:34 pm

"I guess I keep 'im around because 'e's a friend. Sor' of..." Ana replied, avoiding eye contact. "Well, at leas' I consider 'im a friend an' that's what really ma'ers."
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:41 pm

"A 'friend' you say?" Toryc is lost as to what that means, but decides to aim for a slightly different track. "What does he consider you then?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:55 pm

"No idea, never asked," Ana replied with a shrug. "Though I can ask tonight, or next time I see 'im."
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 4:07 pm

"Very well then," Toryc said, switching tracks again, "What of Mr. Lucas Fairchild? What do you think of him?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 4:53 pm

((Copied form an IM conversation.))

"I think 'e's nice, sometimes, an' 'e's honest, sometimes... I guess I can say 'e's a friend, even if 'e' don' think I'm 'is friend," Ana replied, glancing up as she tried to think a bit more.

"And what duties is a friend owed in your culture, Captian Juliana Highland?" Toryc replied.

"That means I defend 'im, even if 'e don't know 'e's my friend."

"You get no profit from the man, and the cost will weigh heavily upon your vessel, yet you still keep him."

"Don't you got friends?"

"I don't understand the question as it is presented. What is a friend?"

"A companion?"

"Companions bring something with them to the table, a value, if you will. What is Mr. Alistair Fairchilds value?"

"'E's nice, sometimes... Sor' of... I like 'is bro'er."

"He's 'nice'? In what fasion? Ive seen the post it board, and I am part of the danger hes put you in. How is he nice? I can accept that you've some form of nesting attraction to Mr. Lucas Fairchild, but you can persue him without Mr. Alistair Fairchild bieng present, cant you?"

"No' exactly attraction. Luke's jus' nice. Alistair's nice too... in 'is own way. 'E's honest at least. Sometimes... Er... 'E 'elped me buy a 'at once."

"If Mr. Alistair Fairchild were honest, I wouldnt have needed to come to this soaked little burg. Though youve piqued my curiosity, what is the value of hats to humans?"

Juliana stared blankly Toryc, as if he asked what blue was. "The same function as clothes."

"But its a charming thing to be given hats? Ive been led to believe that a male providing other articles of clothing to a female is tantamount to suicide."

"They're 'ats aren't they?"

"Yes they are, and I cant help but notice that you don't wear them."

"I wear them. Sometimes. When the mood suits me. ... I already got a handkerchief."

"That quailifies as a hat? I thought it was just a dominance display, similar to the bright plumage of certain birds."

"You don't get around much, do you?"

"You humans tend to give me mixed reactions when I travel abroad, ranging from curiosity to pitchforks. Leaves me at a bit of a loss when Im trying to talk to people, it really does."

"Everyone's different."

"Which leaves me utterly confused as to how your race accomplishes anything. Have three humans look at a thing, you'll hear eight separate views. With such diversity, how in the name of the First do you ever manage any form of collaboration?"

"Compromise an' teamwork."

"'Compromise' thats another word for lessening your position to accomodate another, yes?"

"Yup. Everyone leaves 'appy."

"Really, so when you humans 'compromise' there is never a feeling of loss on the part of the stronger party? I find that difficult to believe, especially with your races talent at deception."

"Sometimes, but it 'as to be done."

"Why not simply assert your authority over the lesser memebers? Compromise leaves open the possibility of rebellion, Domination causes the group to speak with one voice."

"But multiple voices is a strength."

"Only until the multiple voices clamor in dissention. Outside views are important to advance, but one mind must impose order to those voices, or all you are left with is struggle."

"Not a problem if we're all on the same page."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Toryc asked, "And how do you insure everyone is 'on the same page'?

Ana replied, "We 'ave the same goal."

"And you can be certain of that in every case? What goal do you and Mr. Alistair Farichild have in common?"

"'E's goign to 'ep me find my brother as well."

"The first question I'd ask is 'why does your brother matter to him'? The second is, 'He's already betrayed a noble, whats stopping him from betraying you as well'?"

"'E's a friend, of course 'es not going to betray me."

"'He's a friend', that satisfies your every concern and question?"

"Yup."

"fascinating, so despite his selfishness, cruelty, and animalism, as your friend, he has free reign in his actions?"

"As long as 'e don't 'urt no one."

"Hes hurt Lord Fairfax in some fashion."

"Before 'e was on my ship."

"So to you, he's been absolved of all prior wrongdoing? You are willing to take the burden of your 'friend' without understanding of who he was prior to you?"

"Yup."

"Your devotion is admirable. So I shall offer you something, safety for your friend. Have him come to me, and I shall help him settle his affairs with Lord Fairfax, and prevent Lord Fairfax from electrocuting the liar."

"'Ow do I know you're not going to 'urt 'im as well?"
"I have no direct objection to the man. My only interest in him is in getting Lord Fairfax to stop caring about the fool so that he and I can get back to making our factory. Also, helping Mr. Alistair Fairchild get away from this affair with all his limbs intact might improve your trust for me, which is beneficial in regards to any continued business you and I might have. It would be refreshing to have someone with your dedication taking care of transporting my products."

"Then I'll see if I can drag 'im down to see you."

"It would be very much appreciated. If I cannot settle this affair now, then in the spirit of continuing my business with Lord Fairfax, I will have to add my own resources to the bounty hunt that's already been declared on Mr. Alistair Fairchild. That would be damaging to our collaboration, I think."

"Quite. If 'e's not going to resolve this on 'is own, I'm gonna 'ave to fight to keep 'im safe."

"I would not wish to come to blows with you, Captian Juliana Highland, you've actually earned a measure of my respect, not many humans have done that. But the business I have with Lord Fairfax will assist the continued survival of my species. I will not allow any human, even one as honest as you, to threaten that."

"We might be at ends then, since I won't let people go around 'urting my crew. I'll see if I can drag 'im to see you though, if I can catch the squirmy bastard."

"I have a few gentle men I could loan you to assist in that effort Captian Juliana Highland, though they'd only be able to prevent him from running once youve coaxed him into the open. If he makes no hostile move, no man answering to me will cause him the slightest amout of harm, I am sincire in my desire to see this brought to a nonviolent conclusion."

"Naw, I can drag 'im myself if I can find 'im. 'E knows 'ow to disappear good when 'e don' wan' t' be found."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 5:11 pm

"I've seen to it he cant leave the island, he's here somewhere."

"'E's good at not being found when 'e don't want to be."

"I believe it, sad to say. I honestly regret not having detained Mr. Lucas Fairchild now, though at the time, I didn't know how strong the bonds between members of your species could be."

"You never see one of 'em without the other."

"Ive only laid eyes on Mr. Lucas Fairchild thus far. A brutish man, quick to taking offense, I'm sad to say. He may be in the process of demonizing me to Mr. Alistair Fairchild as we speak."

"*Thinks*Don't really talk to 'im much with out Mr. Fairchild, so can't tell you much. *Shrugs* 'E's a good cook...."

"I very much appreciate food, its one of my peoples key products, but that doesn't excuse poor manners."

"Jus' seams odd. Did you bring up the memory business?"

"Briefly. I believe that Mr. Lucas Farichilds condition is similar to one that Lord Fairfax is suffering. I wanted to bring Mr. Lucas Fairchild to an associate of mine, in order to see if the condition *could* be treated, before attempting it on Lord Fairfax. Mr. Lucas Fairchild rejected my offer, and the matter switched to Mr. Alistair Farichild."

"Yeah, the memory bit's a sore spot. Don't bring it up in conversation. Though didn't know Mr. Fairfax 'ad Amnesia too."

"(Toryc pales slightly) Its an irritating affair, since his accident, he's displayed no awareness of our arrangement, and even acts as though he didnt know of the factory at all. Ive had to remind him of every blasted detail, and put up with this hunt in the interim. Im still not entirely sure what offence Mr. Alistair Farichild visited upon Lord Fairfax, all I know, is that the factory must be built, and it must happen sooner, rather than later."

"What accident?"

"(Returns to usual coloration) Apparently there was some event involving a gondola. Lord Fairfax seems to have recovered nicely, though this irritating 'amnesia' is severely slowing down business."

"*Thinks for a few moments, then looks horrified* You mean the lift!? *Chokes on the words fro a few moments* Um... The Lord Fairfax you talked to before? 'E's kind of dead. It's 'is son you're talking to now. Kind of confusing since they've got the same name an' all and I imagine we all look the same to you but..."

"(Toryc pulls his head back slightly, like a startled dog) Son? What is a 'son'?"

"It's your offspring. You know, you get married, 'ave kids, then you got a son."

"Wha... (Toyc looks about as confused as his face allows) you... your species... I saw the reports of the accident... How are you humans so fragile that that would kill you? Are you attempting to tell me you dont pass your experiences to the next generation? This is making no sense."

"We do, in lessons in schools an' what not. An' it was a pretty long fall form wot I 'ear."

"You need to be retaught your history every generation? IVE BEEN TALKING TO A NEW FAIRFAX?!"

"That's right."

"How... you fragile... that... (Toryc is flat sputtering in irritation, skin darkening in coloration, the nearby guards looking slightly concerned.)"

"*Backs away a little* Something wrong with that?"

"(Toryc struggles to regain his composure) Is there something wrong with the man who provided the greatest shield my species has ever had against the caster having passed on, and my having to reeducate his successor on the arrangement, and evidently PRODUCT from scratch, yes, Captian Juliana Highland, there is something wrong with that. (Toryc releases a long gurgling sound) Though it is not your problem, and I apologize for my outburst. I thank you for that information. What would you ask in return?"

"*Floored by his reaction* N... nothing. We were just talking, right? Thought it was something everyone knew..."

"(Toryc releases the gurgling sound again) As you say, though it wasnt something I knew. (He looks over his shoulder and pales slightly) Though I suspect there will be interesting answers as to why you are the first one to inform me. (Shifts attention back to Ana, as the guard he just looked at quickly grabs a nearby menu and start shifting through it) If that is the case however, what is a 'seance'?"

"It's when you contact dead people."

"'Contact dead people'... Is this a common practice for your species?"

"Not in the slightest. It's kind of rare an' expensive."

"Why would one want to speak with the dead? You said your knowledge is preserved in you lessons and such..."

"Because experience and memories can' be passed on, not directly at least. Got to tell people things."

"And that is why this New Fairfax is after Mr. Alistair Fairchild, he failed to deliver this 'seance', and either didnt provide the requested information, or somehow falsified it. (Toryc chitters softly) Why must your species put so much stock in casting?"

"*Gives him a blank look* I guess... they don't tell me anything about what's going on there. An' not sure what you mean by casting."

"How is a seance performed, is there some natural method, or is it accomplished with magic?"

"Magic from what I 'ear."

"That is casting (Toryc noticably pales) the downfall of many species. This entire affair could have been avoided had the New Fairfax not bothered with the stuff. (Toryc gurgles and returns to his usual shade) Still, I suppose you humans are young, and as limited as you are, there is much amusing about you. Perhaps in time you will learn not to mess with it. Though this does leave me in an unpleasant situation. The new Fairfax wants someone who is willing to appear as though he is a caster, if he can affect that much of a deception, (Toryc gives a soft hooting sound, and his posture straigtens) He's suddenly much more impressive a quarry."

"Still want to go the diplomatic route."

"I hope he finds it in himself to go that route, though if he's used to feigning as a dangerous creature, he may have a difficult time being put in a position where his camouflage won't help him."

"I said I'd prefer to 'ave this end diplomatically," Ana replied, keeping a serious tone. "I said I was going to 'elp ge' 'im t' you to talk, don' go talking about 'im like that isn't going to work."
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Toryc released a soft hooting sound, "I dont mean to make light of your consessions, Captian Juliana Highland, its simply that... how did that author put it? The best assurance of peace is the preperation for war. I wish to talk, and I have promised you that should you bring him to me, he will not be harmed, but contingencies must be made. If not, you only invite an unexpected loss."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:50 pm

"Then you don't trus' it's going t' work very well now do ya?" Ana replied.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Toryc still hooting, "This is why I despise using your language, Captian Juliana Highland, so limited. I withdraw my concern. Were there any other matters you'd care to discuss? One more palatable to these desserts, perhaps?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 pm

The Capetian tried to calm down, though she couldn't help but worry a bit at the lack of trust in her ability or trust in a peaceful solution being shown. "Um... jus' wha' are you, if you don' mind people being blun'?" She finally settled on.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm

"The best way I can make your tounge able to pronounce it, is Nokklug." Toryc said, beginning to dig into the dessert that finally arrived. "My people inhabit a streatch of islands that is..." his skin darkens for a moment, then returns to its usual shade, "Very, very distant from here."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 5:18 am

"So way off on the other side of the world?" Ana asked, caulking her head to one side.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 am

Torycs skin maintained its darker complexion, and his eyes were focused on the small bowl of ice cream before him, "Yes, Captan Juliana Highland. To give you an idea of scale, when I left my homeland, it was almost four of your weeks before I encountered my first human vessal."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Ana nearly dropped her folk in shock. She had a hard enough time grasping the size of Naughtsha or Audum, and they took a week and two weeks to travel from one side of to the other respectively. Something twice the size of Audum? That was far. "So, wha' kind of animals do you got there?" She asked, trying to keep the conversation going.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Torycs dark shading deepened a bit, as he leans back in his chair, his voice taking a much softer and more musical tone, "Many, many kinds, captian Juliana Highland. The Porrites who roam the swamps in massive packs, tearing down trees to get at the fruits. The Barac of the deserts, fierce, vicious predators. Heh, a proving ritual for some youths, truth told. The Sloughs of the deep places, cruel scavengers the lot of them." He unleashes a deep, slow whistle, as he leans forward, rapping his fingers against his knees under the table. "My personal favorites are the Psyches and the Golluks, a pair of races mine has formed symbiotic relations with. I have a pair here that I brought from Phyrex on this island, if youd care to see them, Captian Juliana Highland. They are near where Ive got your cargo stored."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Ana's face twisted in a tug-of-war between her despite to find out more about this exciting new land and her attempts at being polite and not causing a problem. "I'd love to see them, if you wouldn't mind," She settled on with a smile. "I love seeing new creatures and people."
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Torycs face twisted into an attempt at a human smile, "And I would be glad to attempt to educate you" He gestured at her plate, "If you are done eating, we can head for the vessal now, or we could look for another course, if you'd prefer. Im not sure how much sustenance you humans need."

Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

"That's enough for now," Ana replied, keeping her smile. "Let's go see these creatures then!" Ana replied, excitement creeping into her voice before she caught herself and added in with a more meek tone, "With your permission of course."
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Toryc stood from the table, one of his thugs moving around to pull out Ana's chair for her, "I wouldnt have offered if I werent going to grant you permission, Captian Juliana Highland." He said with a soft hoot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Evening Between Rovers   An Evening Between Rovers - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An Evening Between Rovers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2