Hydraulic Icarus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Shout Box

The Docks in the Morning

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Star

Star

Nicknames : Duct Tape
Characters : Lord Sullivan Syme, Ethan Holm

The Docks in the Morning  Empty
PostSubject: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 1:09 pm

It was very early, still dark for the most part. Thankfully Ethan's boss didn't get to the docks until midmorning and even his fellow workers probably wouldn't start arriving for another half hour. Ethan didn't want to see them. He was waiting for the girl who owned the Heat. He'd seen her here a few times, before the normal work shifts and he only hoped she wouldn't recognize him when she got here this morning.

He looked different. He'd cleaned up and the grey hat he'd stolen from Grains was shading his face. He'd used the money he'd taken to buy new clothes, including a long airmen's coat, new boots and a pair of flight googles. One of Grains cigarettes was between his teeth and the smoke he blew quickly melted into the think morning mist.

Early mornings was one of the few times there was something like peace on the docks. Fog usually kept ships from taking off, though there were a few distant shouts of men loading up some gondolas and ship bells rang at regular intervals.

The squawks and calls of cliff birds were the most present and the most irritating noises and Ethan glared when one of them landed on railing only a few feet away. It was large and mostly white, with black tips on its wings. It looked at Ethan with curious eyes and then hopped closer.

"Get lost yah bloody bird," snapped Ethan, waving an impatient arm. It didn't fly away. The damned birds left everyone other person alone, but flocked to Ethan like he had treats hidden in all his pockets.

"Ah said get lost, 'fore ah eat yeh fer breakfast!" Ethan swung his arm more aggressively and the cliff bird flew away with a disappointed caw.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

Nicknames : Gordon Ramsey
Characters : Juliana Highland, Lucas Fairchild

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 3:28 pm

Down the road, Miss Highland was enjoying her morning as best as she could with a big smile and a bundle of items in her hands. So what if she barely got any sleep the night before? So what if she still had a hat to buy? So what if she was still wearing the same clothes form the day before? She had her ship and was going to see her brother soon and that was all that really mattered by that point.

As she walked down the docks, she couldn't help but notice a seagull harassing a man out front of her ship. Rats with wings she had heard them called and couldn't help but agree. Stupid birds, always harassing people and trying to scare them out of their breakfast. It took her a while, but she figured out the bird's scheming nature and their habit of swooping close and pulling away at the last second. But she was smarter than those birds. She ate her breakfast at home now. Ha! Showed those birds who was the smarter one.

By the time she got close enough the bird was gone, but the man wasn't. With a surprised look, she stopped to adjust her grip on her bundle and asked, "Y'waiting for someone?"
Back to top Go down
https://icarus.forumotion.com
Star

Star

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Ethan glanced at her and then pushed back his hat. "Yeah," he said, "Ah heard that your the one who owns the Heat," he nodded at the ship, "And that yeh might be hirer'n. Name's Pace Reagan," Ethan held out a hand, "I use teh pilot a Chadan a few years ago an' ah know the weather and airspace like ah know me own home. If yeh need a navigator, I might be interested."

Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Juliana regained her big smile. Another crew member! She'd be set to fly as soon as she could get enough money to get a new hat. And this one, while a bit on the intimidating side for being over a foot taller than her, was human so she knew what to expect and where all of his squishy bits were. "You willin' t'fly on low wages?" She asked with her same adventurous smile. "Don't care where you're going?"
Back to top Go down
Star

Star

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:10 pm

"Long as it's away from here," Ethan said, "An' as fer the wages, I'm sure I've worked fer less."

Sticking his hands in his pockets, Ethan looked up at the clean and simple ship. "Yer ship looks brand new. This 'er virgin journey?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Quote :
"Long as it's away from here," Ethan said, "An' as fer the wages, I'm sure I've worked fer less."

"'en welcome aboard, Mr. Reagan. I'm Juliana Highland, though y'can just call me Ana if you're not good with name," She said, reaching out a hand to shake his extended hand vigorously.

Quote :
Sticking his hands in his pockets, Ethan looked up at the clean and simple ship. "Yer ship looks brand new. This 'er virgin journey?"

Looking at her prize and joy, Juliana kept her big smile though got her ship glimmer in her eyes. "Yap, brand new 'n' jus' off the assembly line a month ago. Barely gone a mile on 'er. 'at means she can be modified as we go 'long. I'm 'oping to get some guns for 'er in the future."
Back to top Go down
Star

Star

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Ethan nodded. This Ana girl didn't seem to be the brightest and he could imagine how she'd get annoying after a while, but right now he found he rather liked her. It'd been while since he met someone so trusting and friendly. Plus, he could see she loved her ship. The shine in her eyes was familiar to him. A new captain with a new ship and the whole damn world was at her feet.

He smiled. "Well if Chadan make their ships as good as they use to, then It'll be a real pleasure to be a part of her crew, Miss Highland," he said, "When will we be setting off and where to?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:58 pm

"We're gonna set off in four days. I'd set off sooner, but I've got a debt I kind of need t'pay," With that she looked down at the ground in guilt, clinging to her articles.

"Oh!" She explaimed, popping back up like a jack-in-the-box. "Yeah, where we're goin'. We're 'eadin' to Phiah first, but not sure where we're goin' after. See, I'm kind of lookin' fer me bro'er an' don't really 'ave much of a trail t'go on. I'm gonna do me best, but I can't really say where we're goin' until we can find a trail. 'nough said, yeah?"
Back to top Go down
Star

Star

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Ethan shrugged. "Your the boss. Phiah sounds good to me." He paused looking at the ship then asked, "Would yeh mind if I took a look inside?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 2:15 am

"Wouldn't mind a lick," Ana said with a smile. "Come in, I'll show you 'round."

She moved along the ship's interior, showing him where the engines, cargo, common room, engine room and cockpit were located. When arriving to the hallway containing the cabins, she waved a hand to gesture all along the hallway. "...'N' this is where t'beds are. You can choose any cabin y'want.

"Except 'at one, it's the cap'n's room 'n' I'm saving it for a noble. 'N' that one's got a lot of stuff on the floor from Thatcher. I guess y'can share my room if y'really feel like it, but it might be better to just take one of t'other two." She explained, point to each room as they were mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Star

Star

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Ethan was already opening one of the doors to an empty room. He was a little surprised to hear about a noble possibly being a passenger and also surprised that'd she'd offered to let him share rooms with her. She was a girl, probably not even out of her teens and she didn't know a thing about him. It was a weird feeling, being so.. trusted. Obviously Ana Highland wasn't a very good judge of character.

"This'll be fine," he said, clearing his throat and glancing around the cabin. It wasn't like he needed much space. All he had were the cloths on his back.

"You said somethi'n 'bout a noble? You taking on a passenger then?" he asked turning back around to face her. It seemed odd that a nobleman would want to take such a simple ship, with no luxuries or defenses and an inexperienced crew taboot.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:24 pm

"I think. Still gotta meet t'Lord later today 'n' make it proper," Juliana said, moving to her own room to set her bundle down on her bed. It contained mostly clothes, though there was also a few books in rather terrible shape. "I'd invite you but it's 'sposed to be business-like."
Back to top Go down
Star

Star

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Ethan remained thoughtful a moment, but then shrugged. What did he care about lords, as long as he finally got away from this city and those damned wizards.

"Your business is your own, Miss," he said, "I don't need to be interfering. If yeh need any work done on the ship, or anything else teh get ready for lift-off, just let me know. I'll, uh... I'll be around."

Ethan realized he that he wasn't sure what'd he'd do until they left. He'd expected the Heat to be leaving sooner than four days. Shelby knew where he lived and worked and even if Grains had never made it off The Cliff alive they'd have plenty of time to send someone else. - Well he'd just have to figure something out.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:49 pm

"Y'can stay here if you like. Maybe get your cabin all ready t'your liking," Said Ana, moving to rub the sleep out of her eyes. Long day ahead of her. "Don't think Thatcher would mind."
Back to top Go down
Star

Star

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:22 pm

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind," said Ethan, "An' thank you for hiring me on."

Realizing that she looked tired and still had to get to work, he began leading the way back out to the docks. "I gotta get go'n, but I reckon I'll see yeh 'round later, Captain."

Ethan knew he'd have to stash his guns, and new clothes, before reporting to work at the warehouses, but he might as well try and get one more day's pay. As long as he kept his guard up, he didn't think much harm would come of it.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Juliana followed after him, shutting the door on the ship before leaving. She gave him a warm smile and a wave as their ways split. "Good luck. Still not sure when I'm gonna be leaving, so don't be 'fraid t'stop by."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Docks in the Morning    The Docks in the Morning  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Docks in the Morning
Page 1 of 1