Hydraulic Icarus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Shout Box

Toryc the Nokklug

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BarrowLord

Characters : Toryc, Erik and Sarah

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Name: Toryc
Age: Doesn’t track time like humans do, but pretty sure they’d put him around 50
Race: Nokklug- An odd race from the far reaches of the known world, evolved on an island that also gave rise to a number of other species. The Nokklug themselves, a shrewd and opportunistic race, managed to become the dominant species on the island, largely due to their quick “domestication” of a number of smaller, more brutal sentients.
Occupation: Businessman. He left his home land (a rare move for one of his species) in order to scout out wider business ventures to return home with. He’s been island hopping, in one way or another, for the last 6 years, setting up a number of investments and deals. This does leave him with a good deal of personal income, though his occasional misunderstandings of the more commonplace interactions (ie con-men) do occasionally rob him of it. He always seems to adapt though.
Appearance: Like most of his species, he is generally a gangly humanoid. He’s around 5’6”, weighing in at about 150 lbs, they don’t really cut an imposing figure. He generally wears the best local fashions he can get his hands on, preferring things that cover as much of his body as possible. The only portion he rarely tries to hide, though he is rather fond of bowlers and stovepipe hats, is his head. The head of the species is much narrower than the average humans, but also a good deal longer, bulging slightly around the brain area. The skin is a deep bruise purple with an almost bark like texture to the touch. The eyes are featureless, glowing orange orbs, set in deep sunken eye sockets. The rest of the face is somewhat featureless, the broad mouth does have several flat, herbivore like teeth in it, but when closes is almost unnoticeable. There are no visible ears.
Personality: While the vast majority of his species sees other sentients as tools at best and a possible food source at worst, Toryc prefers a longer term view of other races. While he does often present airs of superiority, he’s learned that there is some benefit to subordinates WANTING to work for one rather than being forced into service. Not being able to shake his species arrogance completely, however, he does come across as patronizing at the best of times, and pushy most others.
History: Born as the equivalent of a low class noble in his homeland, Toryc realized early on that he really had no hope of advancement at home, so he did what no Nokklug had willingly done before, sold off his holdings and hit the road (sky, whatever). When he left, all he had was a small shuttle, which he sold as soon as he hit a human settlement, and a truckload of currency. As soon as he hit human settlements though, he attempted to start the basic business of buying and selling, only to be hit by something his species had never really thought of before, flat out lying. His species are masters of contracts, able to get the devil in the details to dance at their commands, however, once contracts were entered into, weather verbal or written, they were ALWAYS carried out, no matter how badly the spirit and or letter was violated. So it came as an almost complete culture shock to him when a few, more underhanded, deals simply never lived up to their end of the arrangement. He has managed to be more selective with his contacts since then, and has more than made his money back, but he still gets blindsided every so often, which sets him off on lovely little vendettas of revenge and return of profits.
Abilities:
Strengths: Deceptively Strong, able to lift well over twice his body weight
Highly Intelligent, able to calculate vast sums in his head, near eidetic memory

Weakness: Culturally inept, has a very difficult time adjusting to new regions or people. Also has a very hard time telling the difference in certain species.
Inexperienced, while very good in arts of business, outside the office he’s at a disadvantage. He’s no good at mechanical crafts, and his only edge in a fight is raw muscle, usually relies on others for day to day affairs.
Egomaniac, While he has made great strides away from his species typical view point, he’s still genetically inclined to “look out for number 1”. While he will make a stand to defend what’s “his”, he would much rather seek revenge for a loss today, than go down with the ship.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Lemme know if I messed up somewhere along the lines.
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

Nicknames : Fashion Police Officer
Characters : Alistair J. Fairchild, Miss Lavinia Cardham

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:41 am

It would be slightly easier to read if you bolded the title of each section, but other than that, I'd say this application looks really good. I think Toryc could work well playing off against Garrett, Alistair, or any number of businessmen of Lavinia and Perry's acquaintance.

If you want to add more about the Nokklug in the encyclopedia, we would really appreciate it.

Toryc the Nokklug Wordcopy
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:17 am

Id be happy to get on that, if you could specify what youd like to know, that would help with keeping me focused (I haz tendancy to ramble Sad ) Also, if youd be so kind as to give me some pointers as to which thread to work him into, I can start working out a good way to get him introduced into the RP.
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

Nicknames : Fashion Police Officer
Characters : Alistair J. Fairchild, Miss Lavinia Cardham

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:16 am

What kind of society the Nokklug has. Where they're from. How much interaction they have with other races and how those interactions generally work out. What strange physiology they have that makes them unique. What they eat. How they dress. How males differ from females. Whether there ARE males and females.

Basically, feel free to ramble about anything you can think of pertaining to the Nokklug. Razz If you want some ideas, look up the "Centricus" and "Naughtshian Vampires" in the encyclopedia. (And again, it's not actually required. They just seem fascinating and I want to know more.)

And as for getting in the game, we're currently set up in Electric City. Everyone's pretty much headed to bed right now, but we should be skipping ahead fairly soon.

Some ideas for getting him into the game "tomorrow" would be: 1) He was working with the previous Lord Fairfax to fund a factory that would manufacture pale sodium cheaply until Lord Fairfax died in an accident. He comes to Electric City with Lord Fairfax's son, Perry, to try and continue the deal while Perry really only wants to chase down a particular con man over a slight. 2) He's in town on other business and meets the men from the ship when they go to get their suits at the tailor's. 3) He spots Garrett after being conned by him before and decides to confront him. 4) He finds out that his business associate was arrested due to being involved in a smuggling ring and meets up with the people on the ship somehow.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:56 am

Thank you muchly. Will be leaning for one or four. In one, as mentioned, contracts are as close to sacred as Nokklugs care to get, and he wont really see a difference between the offspring and the signer (More on that when I get the encyclopedia in motion). Four would also be in character, as his attempts to "care" about his "minions" does mean hes willing to help them out of a jam (for hella mad interest rates of course) and he dosent really care about legalities so long as deals are honored. Two seems a little contrived for my tastes (even though I kinda like the "adventurers meet in a bar" opening) and three, well, when Toryc realizes hes been lied to (which isnt often, admittedly) he has a tendancy to fit the offender with a pair of concreate shoes. Not a good way to get in with a crew I think.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

Nicknames : Gordon Ramsey
Characters : Juliana Highland, Lucas Fairchild

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Hum, one would force him to meet most of the "main" cast and crew. (The smuggler was just a no name guy who threw Alistair off his ship in an attempt to murder him. I can see him resolving that and going on his own way without getting involved with everyone else, which is fun for no one. Might be fun to have that as a side plot to give him some "minions" though.)
Back to top Go down
https://icarus.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Toryc the Nokklug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toryc the Nokklug   Toryc the Nokklug I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toryc the Nokklug
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hydraulic Icarus :: Game Information :: Accepted Characters-
Jump to: