Hydraulic Icarus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Shout Box

The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

Nicknames : Gordon Ramsey
Characters : Juliana Highland, Lucas Fairchild

The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 2:36 am

"As a parlor trick. Tell me, what recent advances have there been made in magic? These glasses that are on your nose? They are proof that magic cannot heal your eyes. The airships we see in the skies? They're proof that magic can not allow you to fly. The machines we see in our factories? They are proof magic can not build our goods. I believe the age of magic is likely coming to an end. Despite the advancement of White Mercury, no one is quite certain what to do with it. Sure ti works well in a small scale, but on a large scale it remains useful only for war and even in that case is quickly losing ground to technology," Perry responded, keeping a formal face during his entire speech.
Back to top Go down
https://icarus.forumotion.com
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

Nicknames : Fashion Police Officer
Characters : Alistair J. Fairchild, Miss Lavinia Cardham

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:09 am

"There has been a successful case of a previously mundane person gaining magic with our help," she answered coolly, "and with further experimentation we will be able to manage all of those things and more, Perry. Science still cannot explain the edges of our world, nor why humans evolved without wings, nor why certain materials enhance the effects of magic. Technology has its place, I grant you, but there are no limits to what magic may do. To discount it entirely is foolish, especially when you, yourself, use magic."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 12:02 pm

"I believe I have more reason to discount it than most. When I use magic, it is only as a short cut. There is nothing my magic can do that a generator and wires can not, beyond being more portable."
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:19 pm

"And is portability not to be desired?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:41 pm

"Desirable, but not as important as efficiency or advancement. Considering the current state of machinery, we need to focus on making it safer for everyone. While it is unlikely, I'm beginning to wonder if the deaths of Lord Syme and my father were symptoms to a greater problem. A need for more safety to keep people from throwing trash off the islands and keep machines in better working order. I do agree that there needs to be more order in this world however. As you have mentioned, the communists and anarchists are too great of a threat to simply ignore and hope they go away."
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 7:42 am

"Safety is indeed important," Lavinia answered, wringing her hands a bit. "But so is the advancement of the human race. It is a goal we cannot achieve if we ignore all aspects of our current capabilities."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:52 am

"Or if we use outdated methods to attempt to achieve our goals," Perry responded. Despite his serious tone, he did seam to be less wound up than he was a few minutes ago. After all, it was pretty nice to have a serious discussion with someone with with equal or superior understanding of science and it's influence on the natural world (he still had not quite decided which).
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:37 pm

"Magic is hardly outdated. It advances by the second and can easily complement an keep pace with technology. To ignore it would be like cutting off your own left hand because you do more things with your right."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 3:18 pm

"Or it would be more akin to learning to write equally with both hands when the right will suffice, if we must have this conversation turn to analogies."
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 4:18 pm

"Ah, but you see, learning to write with both hands can be a useful trait if the right hand is broken or tired, or is somehow incapacitated."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 4:32 pm

"A skill that takes a life time to learn put only to one use can be considered a useless skill. However, I consider this metaphor to be quite worn out and no longer relevant to this conversation. While magic itself is mostly useless and good only for party tricks and short cuts, I can't help but believe that it can be used for a maximum potential in combination with machines," Perry replied, hints of passion falling into his voice. Not the dangerous, psychotic sort of passion common in stalkers, but the kind that showed a love for the subject he was speaking on.

"There are many combinations that have never been tried, and many that have been theorized that have been claimed impossible. Anything one man can imag..." There was a bit of an embarrassed cough at that statement. It was probably not in his best interests to quite a writer of fiction and fancy. "What I'm trying to say is magic is useful, but only when combined with technology."
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 4:58 pm

"That is your view, and it is not completely wrong, However, all areas of study are enriching in their own right. Even such things as philosophy have their uses," Lavinia answered. "However, that is not the matter in hand. What I wish to hear is that you will hold off your vengeance for now."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 5:01 pm

"I will hold off actively hunting down the man. However, should we cross paths, I will not hesitate and I will bring justice to him," Perry replied.
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

Characters : Toryc, Erik and Sarah

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Suddenly, theres a knock on the door, "Lord Fairfax? Miss Cardham?" Torycs voice comes through the door, "Beg pardon for the interruption, may I speak with the two of you for a moment?"
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 7:52 pm

A hint of annoyance crossed Perry's face at the interruption, though was quick to disappear. "Yes, Toryc? Has something come up?"
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Toryc opens the door, "Captian Juliana Highland retuned a few moments ago, I have an interest in investing in this vessal, and have asked her to meet me for dinner tonight at the Grand Kraken to discuss that. I've also asked her to try and bring the Fairchilds so we can attempt to finalize your business with them in a polite setting, though I do believe thats a forlorn hope. You are, of course, both invited, my treat, consider it an attempt to appologize for my earlier rudness, and an outside chance to see Mr. Alistair Fairchild in a civilized setting. I will be leaving now to make reservations, though I would like to speak to you," he indicates Lord Fairfax, "in private before dinner, wheather you choose to join me or not."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:21 pm

"I have tried to arrange meetings with Mr. Fairchild before, and he has simply avoided them. There is a reason I am waiting here and not in a restaurant, Mr. Toryc," Perry added. "Do you have any reason he would be more likely to show up to this one and not the meeting we had scheduled at the hotel?"
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Lavinia glanced at Perry, attempting to interrupt. "I believe we had plans to dine together, though I will not object to making it a group dinner, if that is your desire, Perry."
Back to top Go down
BarrowLord

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Toryc made a clicking noise at the tone Perry was taking with him, "The slim hope that his Captians assurance that he will not be harmed comes to mind, though agian, I really dont have much hope for it, and this topic is one of those I'd like to discuss in private. Though I would question the wisdom of trying to corner a parasite in its own home, even with your 'gift'" Even attempting to be polite as he is, Torycs disdain for magic shines through, "you dont know what contengiencies he has in place." Toryc looks over his shoulder for a moment, then back into the room. "I will leave now, and I hope you both join me this evening, though I would not wish to disrupt any pre arranged plans. I will leave my bodyguards here, to ensure that should I be correct, nothing more happens to you, sir. Good afternoon." With that, Toryc leaves.
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Perry paused, realizing that he had forgotten about that particular set of dinner plans in his quest for vengeance. With an embarrassed clearing of his throat, Perry replied, "I believe I'm going to hold to my first set of dinner plans if it is..." He trailed off as Toryc left, a look of frustration finding itself firmly planted on his face. While he hardly expected every person to know every detail of etiquette, the idea of someone walking off before a conversation was done brought bile to his mouth. That was hardly an orderly manner to conduct oneself and hardly a way to treat a Coxish noble.

With a frustrated shake of his head, he turned to Lavinia, trying to force himself into a more polite tone. "There are several restaurants on this island that would be suitable for one of your station, do you have any sort of food you are interested in? If the eelmen are too strange for you, I have a cook on my ship."
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:41 pm

"There is one... I went there last night and heard a most interesting argument between two distinguished gentlemen over the viability of an electric automobile."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:56 pm

"It sounds like an excellent place to meet and catch up," Perry offered, moving to stand up and offer a bow. "If you will excuse me, I should probably leave to attend to Toryc. I hope our discussion at dinner will be somewhat more relaxed."
Back to top Go down
wordforger
Admin
wordforger

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:42 pm

" I hope so as well," Lavinia answered. "I shall prepare, and meet you here in an hour."
Back to top Go down
Evil Minion #2

Evil Minion #2

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 11:15 pm

"I will be sure to be here by that time. I will see you soon," Perry replied before heading out the door and for the stairs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.   The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday. - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Little Ship Known As the Heat, Midday.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3